The Engineering Administration

The ruins of the Engineering Administration. A photo of 2013.In the Citadel, north-east of the Kholm gate, the ruins of the Engineering Administration are seen. In some places they rise up to three metres above the ground.

They remind of the old city, because they were a part of the architectural ensemble with the Jesuit church in the baroque style and college ( in Latin: collegium), built in the the 17th century, in which 7 liberal subjects were taught, including theology, the Latin and Greek languages. Children of various social groups could attend the school free of charge. At the end of the 17th century a school theatre was opened in the collegium. There were also a pharmacy and a library here.

When the construction of the fortress began in 1836, this Jesuit complex underwent some changes, first to house the office of the Fortress' Commandant, and later the Engineering Administration. Some rooms were used to accommodate the Russian Imperial family during their visits to the fortress.

During the First World War, after the retreat of the Russian troops in 1915, the buildings were damaged. During the negotiations before signing the Brest-Litovsk Peace Treaty, the buildings were partially restored by the Germans in December 1917.

The ruins of the Engineering Administration. A photo of 1970.The final prewar reconstruction in 1924-1926 (architect Julian Lisiecki) is connected with the fact that from 1921 up to 1939 the headquarters of the 9thmilitary region of the Polish army were situated there.

In September 1939, the building was damaged by shelling when the fortress was assaulted by the German troops.

After handing over the city and the fortress by the German side to the units of the Red Army, the building was used as the headquarters, an armoury and a sports hall of the 75th detached reconnaissance battalion of the 6th rifle division.

The ruins of the Engineering Administration. A photo of 2013.On the first days of the defence in June 1941, in the building's basements the command post of regimental commissar Yefim Fomin was located. The radio station and sitting by it remains of a man in the military uniform were found in 1958. Those finds could suggest, the defenders were attempting to contact with the higher commanders until they were alive.

During the fightings, the northern part was reduced to its very foundations; in the southern part (the main building on the left wing) only walls up to the first floor remained, which were pulled down after the war.

During the construction of the memorial complex, a road was laid through the ruins to the nearby Red Army club (church), which divided the ruins into two parts.

The building underwent conservation and restoration in 1968-1971; a new conservation was carried out in 2006.

All photos in photogallery...